Inside Search

Saturday, February 18, 2017

A really fun computer virus that I killed

What a fun thing. Recently I got a computer virus that managed to screw up an amazing amount of things at the same time. They don't really cause me any harm, so for me it's just fun to learn how to kill them off.
It's now the second virus in my collection.
I added a readme for it...

Triggers multiple harmful effects.
Effects noticed:
*Changes home page and search engine in firefox/chrome.
*Installs a mail.ru plugin for firefox/chrome along with some others. Some leave shortcuts on the desktop.
*Installs GPLyra, which is kinda like a bitcoin miner. This uses 30% of CPU according to google.
*Runs some russian-named processes, one which restarts killed processes and one which takes 99% CPU.
*Schedules several tasks. One of them runs every hour.

The fact that it changed the home page was actually destructive initially. However, both on firefox and chrome I actually have ways to restore sessions. I originally started caring about recovery when I lost all my tabs in firefox twice. Now it's just a standard routine for me to make sure I have ways to get back tabs that somehow disappear, so the damage from losing my tabs was literally only the time it took to make a few clicks.

No comments:

Post a Comment